The Android-powered One Max - which includes a fingerprint scanner and a 5.9in (15cm) screen - had been scheduled to be unveiled at a press conference in China on Tuesday. The device is a larger "phablet-sized" version of its flagship model. HTC's original One was well-reviewed but has been outsold by Samsung's Galaxy S4. That helped cause HTC to post its first ever quarterly loss earlier this month. The Taiwanese firm announced a deficit of just under 3bn Taiwan dollars ($100m; £62m) for its July-to-September quarter. By contrast Samsung Electronics has forecast record profits for the same period. HTC said it decided to abandon the restrictions it had placed on information about the One Max after a member of the media broke a Tuesday embargo placed on its specifications. A spokeswoman for the firm said she was unable to name the publication responsible.